In Alexandria consecration of the reconstructed church of the Holy Annunciation and opening of the new residency of the Alexandrian Patriarchs
On Sunday, 2 April 2006, in
His Holiness Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria and All Africa celebrated Divine Liturgy together with his concelebrant, Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, and numerous clergy and representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches.
Initiator of the reconstruction was Patriarch Peter VII of Alexandria of blessed memory, who was supported by the charity fund ‘Onasis’, in the person of its chairman, A. Papadimitriou. The fund resources were exhausted, since apart from around 600,000 US dollars it invested in this reconstruction, it also assisted in the construction of the
The church of the Annunciation was constructed back in 1856. In